Thursday, October 16, 2014

Satiating my inner Godzilla.

The night before my first day at Uni, it struck me that I hadn't planned a way to distinguish myself. If I wanted to make friends, I had to be astounding, mysterious, awe-inspiring, magnificent. I couldn't settle for anything less than impressive. I couldn't resign myself to a grayscale high school career of anonymityand the obvious next step, the key to making a dazzling first impression, was to decorate my binders.

I couldn't walk on water. I couldn't fly. I couldn't shoot lasers from my eyes or webs from my wrists. I couldn't even kickbox in heels like Scarlett Johansson. Pawing through my mental sheaf of skills, though, personalizing stationary hit me as the ultimate way to impress. It was subtle, creative, poised, like chocolate lace perched on a bed of perfectly whipped frosting.

Armed with a fervent belief in the genius of my plan, I made my embellishments from three sheets of loose leaf paper. I penciled the names of my classes in bubbled cursive letters, cut the letters out with an X-acto knife, and slipped each sheet into the corresponding plastic binder sleeve.

Suffice it to say that stationary had no impact on my first year at Uni. The friendliness of my peers and the coziness of the atmosphere quickly assuaged my fears, and I forgot about my misled attempt at individuality. The only silver lining of that panicked evening was the X-acto knife. I didn't realize it at the time, but carving paper would soon become an irreplaceable element of my life.

I absentmindedly devastate every shreddable object within reach. Any flimsy item in my possessionworksheets, styrofoam cups, movie tickets, plastic baggiesis in danger of becoming a mangled mess. Carving paper into art channels these unbridled destructive habits into a rewarding act of self-expression, and the craft forces me to see in terms of space and shadow. I no longer restrict myself to surface level thinking; I search for that which is not but could be.

It has been two years now, and I still make time for carving. In between homework assignments, over the weekend, watching TV, my fingers itch for an X-acto knife. I don't know how long this hobby will last, and I don't know if I will ever pursue this art in the future. I am saddened by the thought that I might have to stop.

For now, this craft is a comforting reminder that I am capable of doing more than rolling out of bed each morning. I can't walk on water. I can't fly. I can't shoot lasers from my eyes or webs from my wrists. I can't even kickbox in heels like Scarlett Johansson, but I can carve, and that's good enough for me.

Left: my very first carving, right: my latest carving.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really cool! I'm impressed that you managed to make such an intricate pattern and yet keep it from falling apart -- I'm sure I would have torn a lot of the thin strips of paper you have in the one on the right. You can definitely see the improvement too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly seems like a very unique as well as entertaining hobby. As Patrick said, it is really impressive that you managed to avoid tearing some of those small strips of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both the oldest and newest example of your craft. The paper carving is a wonderful art form in itself, but you would also be great at making stencils (don't know if you've tried that yet). Favorite sentence: "I absentmindedly devastate every shreddable object within reach.'"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how nerves from school can lead to such a unique hobby. Obviously, nobody has those superpowers you listed, but creating those carvings is truly something; they really look like something one could find in a highly regarded art museum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these look really cool! I'm amazed you're able to do this, I would screw up again and again and probably give up out of sheer frustration. Also, there's nothing wrong with some wanton destruction every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chloe, your art is absolutely lovely, and I'm glad that you find time to devote to it. I honestly wish I had the patience to do something like this. Thank you for sharing your amazing carvings with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe, your carvings are so amazing! I had to use an X-acto knife once, and it was literally impossible to get the cuts just right. You have to have so much patience. Can you make me one? :P And I really understand your panic the day before you started going to Uni. I remember I was so nervous and I was worried that I wouldn't make any friends, but the people at Uni are so welcoming and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a unique talent! And to think you developed this skill by yourself. Those carvings were incredible! I feel that I would get mad at myself if I tried this. The frustration would kill me and your patience amazes me. :) Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chloe those are honestly so cool! I never really thought about that kind of thing as a hobby, but you make it look so cool and artistic, and I'm sure it's not that easy. Do you ever paint those carvings after you make them? That'd be pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your paper carvings! I have always admired carving art because honestly, I'm not too great in handling an X-acto knife. I find it difficult and scary (I'm pretty clumsy so I'm always afraid of injuring myself), so I always admire such art. Also, I totally understand the desire to destroy styrofoam cups, they're just so fun to tear. Anyways, these carvings are really cool and I hope that you don't stop shredding paper to make such beautiful art (unless you run out of paper of course :) ).

    ReplyDelete