Thursday, October 30, 2014

Rapunzel is my favorite superhero.

A few weeks ago, my little brother grappled with that provocative question only October could pose: what to be for Halloween. Being an intrusive older sister, I couldn't watch him make such a critical decision without giving him my advice.

"Be a ninja," I suggested.
"I was a ninja last year."
"Then be Darth Vader."
"Maybe."
"A superhero?"
"I don't want to be a superhero."
"But you've never been one before! You have to be a superhero at least once."
"Then you be one."
"Maybe I will. I'll be...um. Uhhh..."

In that moment, searching for a kick-ass heroine to throw in my brother's face, I saw just how limited my options were. The only choices that came to mind were Superwoman, Black Widow, or some over-sexualized knockoff of another hero. I may not be well-versed enough in superhero culture to know other female protagonists, but the very fact that no other heroines were mainstream enough to have triggered my memory is a red flag.

Truth be told, before I had this conversation with my brother, the male monopoly on heroes didn't bother me. My mental image of a superhero was a muscled, caped man. I realized, though, that in the constant tug-of-war between hero and villain, female characters are nowhere to be found on either end of the rope. Instead, they're ushered off to the sidelines, given sparkly pom-poms, and told to cheer. Even when females are given starring roles, most heroines have no powers but for the ability to seduce, slink around mysteriously, or do martial arts. The women who do have powers are reduced to busty versions of their male counterparts. What does this imply about the genders? That females aren't capable of being extraordinary, of being in a position of power? That men can capitalize on their inherently phenomenal traits but women can't?

After I hit upon this gold mine of revelations, I began to focus my attention on Disney princesses--because if superheroes are the male's archetypal models, then Disney princesses are the female's. I was ready to destroy my childhood memories, determined to hate everything those princesses stood for, but I found myself unable to do so. Although it may be hard to see under the frills, sporadic singing, and apparent naivete, most princesses are superheroes, too.

Mulan saves all of China from the Huns while dodging social barbs. Elsa is a snow queen with such potent powers, she freezes and thaws an entire country, gives life to snow beings, and constructs a multi-storied castle in as much time as it took her to sing about letting it go. Rapunzel can magically heal wounds and reverse aging. Cinderella and Snow White can talk to animals and convince creatures to do their bidding (imagine what they could do with that power if they stopped wasting it on domestic chores).

The problem, then, wasn't that female superheroes don't exist. The problem was that I didn't recognize them. True, princesses are not the ideal role models. However, it's not fair that femininity automatically negates any of their heroic or superhero-esque actions. Just because princesses aren't as macho as male superheroes doesn't mean they should be dismissed entirely. Why can't heroines conquer villains and fight crime, but also wear dresses and sing? A man who uses superpowers to save the day is a superhero. Following that line of logic, a woman who uses powers to save the day can be a superhero regardless of her other feminine traits.

This post may have been a jumbled soup of questions and arguments and thoughts, and I apologize for that. Whenever the issue of people enters the equation, things are bound to get messy. In the end, though, that's the one thing I know for certain: we're all people. Superheroes are people, princesses are people, and people are complicated.

The next time I try to categorize the individuals around me into neat little boxes, I need to step back and remember that each person is an ocean of existence. All I ever see is the rippling surface, not the wealth of life teeming just beneath.

7 comments:

  1. This post is beautiful!! I totally agree with you about the superhero-ness of Disney princesses. Admittedly, there are some princesses that do nothing but wait for their prince to save them, but I believe that recently Disney has ramped up the "super" qualities in their heroines. I think that Halloween is a perfect time to teach young girls that they don't need to sexualize themselves to be strong.
    This is kind of getting off topic, but I tagged along with a friend to Dallas & Co to find a costume. I was appalled and disgusted at what I found there. All of the costumes were cleavage-baring and looked like they belonged on prostitutes. I honestly thought that I had stumbled into a sex shop. One popular supplier was called "Leg Avenue." Like, no. Women need to realize that they can be strong and beautiful without showing miles of skin. As Emma Watson once said, "My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the other day I read an interesting article that might relate to your frustration with the lack of non-sexualized female superheroes. It was basically talking about how Wonder Woman was way ahead of her time back in the 1940's, and was meant as a kind of feminist role model (although the creator, who was a man, had more than a little sexuality mixed into it too). After the original creator died, though, she was basically de-powered and remodeled to become the caricaturish sex symbol she is today. It really is too bad that there has to be a separation of heroes into male comic book characters and female Disney characters, especially since I don't think either of them serve as particularly good role models. Something about the way Disney heroines always have to end up with a man in the end rubs me the wrong way. Anyway, here's the article if you're curious: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/11/wonder-womans-kinky-feminist-roots/380788/

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Love how your made your jumble of words into a meaningful and didactic post.
    2. I understand you completely. I understand that when you're a superhero,everything about you is larger than life. For guys it's their height and muscles. Whatever it may be, it's at least somewhat proportional. And then there are female superheroes. Somehow the only thing the creators think to enlarge are their bosoms. Not anything else, just those lumps of fat. Not only that, they shrink every other part of the woman's body down into barbie proportions. Honestly, I can't help but wonder why they don't fall out of the costume or the women just tip over.
    3. There was this one episode of the Fairly Odd Parent where Timmy discovers that everyone, including the milkman, is a hero. Excuse the sap, but everyone who hasn't committed a capital crime etc is a hero in their own right. It might just be small things but if you think about it, they choose to do it because they care about everyone's safety. There might not be a super spider villain but there might be water on the ground that might be hazardous. Now I'm ranting.
    4. Very cute. Although, if we're talking disney characters I would pick Fiona from the second or third shrek movie. She didn't wait around for anyone and eventually got her self out. Speaking of which, recently there's an ad on disney that has the message of princess not waiting around and they go out and do things... except sleeping beauty did wait around...It's only the more recent princesses like Tiana and Elsa that actually are independent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I never thought about Disney princesses as heroines before reading your post, but now I totally agree that some of them are superheroes. Tiana is my personal favorite because she is super independent, but now that you mention it, I can think of some other heroic princesses like Fiona, Belle, and Anastasia (actually I'm not sure if Anastasia is a Disney princess...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona is dreamworks and Anastasia is 20th Century Fox
      but a fairy tale is a fairy tale or so I thought.
      I have always loved Disney since I was little, but as I learned more and more things about feminism, I began to feel ashamed. What can I say the songs are amazing and the animation beautiful. Those movies were all I could have wanted growing up. They were simple enough for me to enjoy then and complex enough for me to enjoy now (though it's much easier to pull them apart and make fun of them). But oh my goodness I am so thankful for your perspective Chloe! Thank you for reminding me, and giving me a new angle for arguing in favor of why I love Disney so much!

      Delete
  5. Really interesting. I haven't really payed any attention to any of the Disney princesses. Starting from when I was a kid, I pretty much just looked at them and went "eh." On a very brief glance, they can seem all similar and just a character in a children's story. Never had any inspiration to think any deeper but seeing them as superheros is an interesting view. It made me wonder what other things I'm missing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your post reminded me of my brother's book of superheroes. It was filled with thousands of characters from tons of comics. Reading that book was a little disappointing, many of the female characters had really great bodies but didn't do much. I like your point that the princesses can be superheros too. I think it's important that some of these princesses get more credit for their heroic actions and not just their pretty dresses.

    ReplyDelete